Here is a great recipe when you’ve got a Chinese food craving, but it’s diet day and you need something low in calories.
This fried rice & veg dish is less than 250 calories per serving and tastes great. It’s quite a generous portion for the low calorie count (that’s a cereal bowl in the photo), but as you can see, it’s more veg than rice. That’s because rice is a whopping 90 calories per 25g raw rice (which isn’t a lot of rice). I like to add it though, as I find that adding a few carbs to a meal makes it more satisfying. You can easily eliminate the rice add more tofu if you prefer: another 100g tofu and 1/2 teaspoon oil to fry it in is 96 calories.
With a variety of vegetables and a bit of fried tofu, a tasty sauce, plus spring onion and coriander (cilantro in American-speak), this scrumptious dish is lacking in nothing but calories.
Fried veg with rice & tofu
Makes one serving
|25g||rice, cooked ahead & refrigerated (70g cooked weight)||91|
|3/4 teaspoon||groundnut oil, divided||30|
|50g||small broccoli florets||17|
|50g||white mushrooms, thinly sliced||11|
|50g||baby corn, thinly sliced||13|
|50g||courgette (zucchini), cut into matchsticks||8|
|25g||celery, thinly sliced||4|
|25g||peeled & finely diced carrots||10|
|1 teaspoon||grated fresh gingerroot||2|
|1 small||spring onion, finely chopped||2|
|1 tablespoon||minced fresh coriander (cilantro)||1|
|1 teaspoon||vegetarian stir-fry sauce (aka vegetarian oyster sauce)||8|
|1 teaspoon||soy sauce||3|
|1/8 teaspoon||sesame oil||5|
|CALORIES PER SERVING||244|
1. Brush tofu with 1/4 teaspoon groundnut oil. Heat a heavy cast-iron skillet and saute tofu on both sides until lightly browned. Cut into crosswise strips.
2. Stir together sauce ingredients and set aside.
3. Blanch broccoli florets for 1 minute, drain and rinse with cold water and set aside.
4. Heat a cast iron wok on medium heat. When hot, add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon groundnut oil and a pinch of salt. Add ginger and cook for 30 seconds. Add mushrooms, cook for one minute. Add broccoli, baby corn, courgette (zucchini), celery and carrots and stir-fry for one minute. Add rice and stir-fry for five minutes, until hot.
5. Pour sauce ingredients over and mix well. Off the heat.
6. Add spring onion and coriander (cilantro) and mix.
7. Serve immediately.