This recipe is a calorie-reduced version of my previously posted recipe Succulent mountain mushrooms.
I reduced the amount of vegetable oil and used low fat vegan yogurt instead of vegan sour cream. I also upped the ginger and garlic.
The dish turned out sooo delicious, and did not taste like diet fare at all.
As it was only 114 calories per portion, I served it with spicy curried aubergine & cauliflower, plus a papadum and salad. The entire meal came to only 250 calories.
The vegan yogurt I used was Sojade brand. I much prefer Sojade over Alpro, as I find Alpro yogurt–even their plain version–too sweet to use in savoury dishes. Look for Sojade in independent health shops.
Creamy curried mushrooms
Makes one serving
|1/2 teaspoon||mild vegetable oil||20|
|1/8 teaspoon||kalonji seed||1|
|1/8 teaspoon||fenugreek seed||1|
|1-1/2 teaspoons||fresh ginger paste||2|
|1-1/2 teaspoons||fresh garlic paste||4|
|1/4 teaspoon||salt, or to taste||0|
|110g||button mushrooms, chopped||17|
|110g||fresh tomatoes, finely chopped||20|
|1/2 teaspoon||ground coriander||2|
|1/4 teaspoon||ground cumin||2|
|2-1/2 tablespoons (35g)||plain vegan yogurt||18|
|CALORIES PER SERVING||114|
1. Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat. Add fenugreek and kalonji seeds, give it a stir, then add garlic & ginger paste. Because of the small quantity of oil used, the ginger will stick to the pan; add a splash of water and scrape the pan with a wooden spatula to loosen. Saute for 30 seconds.
2. Add onion and salt to the pan and mix together, adding more splashes of water when the veggies begin to stick. Turn heat to low, cover pan and continue to cook, stirring occasionally and adding a bit of water if necessary, until onions are softened (about 12 minutes).
3. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for five more minutes. The mushrooms will start to release their moisture.
4. Add tomatoes and spices to the pan and mix thoroughly. Continue to cook on low heat until tomatoes are broken down and mixture has thickened (you don’t want a soupy texture or the sauce will be too thin).
5. Mix in vegan yogurt and heat through.