This one of my favourite things to have for a weekend breakfast. It goes great with a side of vegan bacon and a soya latte. I’ve been inspired by Mo’s (Mosetta Stone) top five favourite breakfast type things, and wanted to share some of the breakfast things I like.
I adapted this recipe from a cookbook whose name I can’t recall. I do remember quickly scribbling it down, as discretely as I could, whilst standing in a bookstore salivating over various recipes in cookbooks (I must have been hungry).
The recipe calls for chives, which were growing in our garden this summer, but are now no more, so I used three-cornered wild garlic instead (the above-ground green part, not the bulb), which is still growing in our garden.
For the vegan cream cheese, I used Provamel Soft Cheese because I’d bought some a few weeks ago to try. I usually use Original Creamy Sheese. They’re both equally good in this recipe. For margarine, I used my usual Pure.
|250g||coarsely chopped mushrooms||1/2 pound|
|2 teaspoons||olive oil, divided||2 teaspoons|
|1 teaspoon||vegan margarine||1 teaspoon|
|1||small clove garlic, minced||1|
|salt and pepper, to taste|
|1 teaspoon||white balsamic vinegar||1 teaspoon|
|1-1/2 tablespoons||finely chopped chives or wild garlic||1-1/2 tablespoons|
|2 tablespoons||vegan cream cheese||2 tablespoons|
|2||thick slices bread||2|
1. In a heavy pan, saute mushrooms in one teaspoon olive oil over medium heat until they are moist. Remove from pan. Turn heat down to low.
2. Add remaining teaspoon of olive oil and the teaspoon of margarine to pan, and saute garlic until fragrant but not browned, about one minute.
3. Add mushrooms back into pan and turn heat to medium. Saute until the mushrooms start to get browned and crispy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Then add balsamic vinegar and half of chives/wild garlic and stir well. Remove from heat.
4. Meanwhile, mix cream cheese with remaining chives/wild garlic, and toast the bread.
5. Spread cream cheese mixture onto toast, and top with mushrooms.
Makes two servings.