On the same day as I made the amazing banana chocolate chip muffins, I had another fabulous cooking success. What are the chances? The cooking gods must have been looking down favourably on me that day.
I wanted to make something quick and tasty for tea (i.e. “supper”. Don’t ask me why the evening meal is called “tea” here, it just is). Pasta sprang to mind, though I hankered for a creamy sauce instead of the usual tomato-based one.
For this dish, I decided to use one of the four small packages of veggie shrimp that I brought back with me from my recent trip to the homeland. Also some broccoli that was in the fridge patiently waiting to be used.
I started with this recipe, though I had to change it a lot to veganise it. Also, I didn’t have any angel hair pasta, which I think would have been better with a cream sauce, though it was still delicious with the rotini that I did use. It also would be awesome with some homemade fresh vegan pasta. If you’re using a very quick-cooking pasta, you’ll want to prepare the rest of the recipe before cooking it.
I used a few prepared products in the cream sauce, namely vegan sour cream, cream cheese and hard cheese. But you only need small amounts of each of them, so the dish isn’t too expensive to make. Of course, it doesn’t clog your arteries or harm your karma like a dairy-based sauce would.
|1 tablespoon||vegan margarine (divided)||1 tablespoon|
|2 teaspoons||plain (all-purpose) flour||2 teaspoons|
|190ml||soya milk||3/4 cup|
|2 tablespoons||minced fresh basil||2 tablespoons|
|1 tablespoon||vegan cream cheese||1 tablespoon|
|1 tablespoon||vegan sour cream||1 tablespoon|
|3 cloves||garlic, minced (divided)||3 cloves|
|28g||vegan hard Cheddar cheese, finely shredded||1 ounce|
|2 tablespoons||tinned tomatoes or passata (tomato sauce)||2 tablespoons|
|1/2 teaspoon||salt||1/2 teaspoon|
|to taste||freshly ground black pepper||to taste|
|dash||vegan Worcestershire sauce||dash|
|160g||fresh broccoli florets||6 ounces|
|100g||vegan shrimp||3-1/2 ounces|
|180g||rotini or other dried pasta||6 ounces|
1. Melt two teaspoons of the margarine over low heat. Add flour and cook for two minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in the soya milk to make a smooth sauce, and simmer until thickened. Whisk in the fresh basil, cream cheese, sour cream and one clove of the garlic until smooth. Then add shredded Cheddar, and cook gently until it melts into the sauce. Stir in tomatoes, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Continue to simmer on very low heat while you prepare the other ingredients.
2. Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Salt the water, then add pasta and cook according to package directions.
3. While pasta is cooking, steam broccoli for 3 or 4 minutes, until tender but still firm. Drain.
4. Melt remaining one teaspoon of margarine and gently saute remaining two cloves of garlic for a minute. Then add the veggie shrimp and cook until they are heated through. Also add the steamed broccoli to reheat it.
5. When the pasta is finished, add it to the sauce, and top with the veggie shrimp and broccoli.
Makes two servings.