I know that every vegan probably has chili in their kitchen repertoire, so yeah, yawn, another chili recipe.
But this is one darn fine chili, very nicely flavoured with just the tiniest bit of heat (though feel free to crank it up a few Scoville units and set your tongue on fire.)
It’s based on this recipe, though of course it’s much much better in its vegan incarnation. (I say this with confidence although I have never tried the meaty version.) You could serve this up to die-hard carnivores and they’d be none the wiser. And of course, there’s no risk of contracting the human version of that nasty mad-cow disease.
It looks like a long list of ingredients, but it’s mostly spices and flavourings. For more heat, add red pepper flakes, fresh hot chilies and/or hot pepper sauce. For the veggie mince, I usually use Realeat VegeMince.
|1 tablespoon||olive oil, or oil from sun-dried tomatoes||1 tablespoon|
|1||medium onion, chopped||1|
|1||small red pepper, chopped||1|
|3||cloves garlic, finely chopped||3|
|300g||veggie mince (veggie crumbles)||10 ounces|
|1-1/2 teaspoons||vegan Worcestershire sauce||1-1/2 teaspoons|
|1-1/2 teaspoons||smoked sweet paprika||1-1/2 teaspoons|
|1-1/2 teaspoons||ground cumin||1-1/2 teaspoons|
|1-1/2 teaspoons||cocoa powder||1-1/2 teaspoons|
|1-1/2 teaspoons||sugar||1-1/2 teaspoons|
|1 teaspoon||mild chili powder||1 teaspoon|
|1 teaspoon||dried oregano||1 teaspoon|
|1 teaspoon||seasoned salt (I use Himalayan herbal salt)||1 teaspoon|
|1/2 teaspoon||freshly ground black pepper||1/2 teaspoon|
|4||sundried tomato halves in oil, chopped||4|
|400g tin||chopped tomatoes||14-ounce can|
|125ml||passata (tomato sauce)||1/2 cup|
|400g tin||kidney or pinto beans, drained & rinsed||15-ounce can|
|60g||fresh or frozen sweetcorn (corn niblets)||1/2 cup|
1. Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and saute for five minutes, until softened. Add red pepper, cook another five minutes, then add garlic and continue to cook for another couple of minutes, or until vegetables are softened and fragrant.
2. Add veggie mince (veggie crumbles) and 125ml (1/2 cup) water. Saute until water is absorbed.
3. Next add Worcestershire sauce, paprika, cumin, cocoa powder, sugar, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
4. Now add the sundried tomatoes, tinned tomatoes, passata (tomato sauce) and another 125ml (1/2 cup) or more of water and mix thoroughly. (How much water you add will depend on the brand of veggie mince you use, as some seem to suck up the water more than others. You want a nice bit of sauce, but not too runny.)
5. Add beans, mix again, then cover and bring to a simmer. Cook on low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water if it seems dry.
6. Stir in sweetcorn (corn niblets) and cook for 10 minutes more.
Nice served with rice and a green salad.
Makes six servings.