A few days ago, both Mr Thrifty and I were in the mood for pizza, but it was late and I didn’t have a pizza crust premade in the freezer.
So I decided to make pizza using French bread as a base instead.
I used a type of baguette that is widely availably in supermarkets here. The crust is more soft than crusty, and the shape is slightly flattened rather than being more round like an authentic baguette.
The pizza was incredibly delicious, and we’ll be making this super-quick pizza again and again.
Here’s how to do it:
* Cut the baguette into 15cm/6″ lengths, then cut each chunk in half lengthwise
* Spread the bread with pasta or pizza sauce. (I used a premade sauce: Tomato & Basil pasta sauce from Seeds of Change.)
* Grate some melty vegan cheese on top of the sauce. (I used Redwood’s Mozzarella Cheezly.)
* Add toppings. (I used sauteed courgette/zucchini and sauteed mushrooms.)
* Bake in a preheated 200C/400F oven for 15 minutes, until cheese has melted and bread is crusty