Sorry for the lack of posts, peeps, I’ve been unbelievably busy and not had time to give proper attention to my blog.
I’ve been making mostly quick meals that I’ve made before, so nothing much exciting to report from the kitchen.
However, since rediscovering my favourite vegan bran muffin recipe, I’ve made a couple of variations… one with dried blueberries, which was delicious, and another with dried apricots, which was just as yummy. I also tried a variation with fresh blueberries, and although they were good, the blueberries made the muffins a bit soggy. I think dried fruit is better in these muffins.
For the apricot muffins, I substituted oat bran for the wheat bran, and used agave syrup instead of date syrup. I also used a bit of orange extract, which added a nice subtle orange flavour.
As before, I used Orgran No Egg, but Ener-G Egg Replacer will work just as well.
|powdered egg replacer equivalent to 2 eggs|
|250ml||soya milk||1 cup|
|125ml||mild vegetable oil||1/2 cup|
|60ml||agave syrup||1/4 cup|
|110g||packed brown sugar||1/2 cup|
|1/4 teaspoon||pure orange extract||1/4 teaspoon|
|180g||oat bran||1-1/2 cups|
|180g||plain (all-purpose) flour||1-1/2 cups|
|2 teaspoons||baking powder||2 teaspoons|
|3/4 teaspoon||salt||3/4 teaspoon|
|1/2 teaspoon||baking soda||1/2 teaspoon|
|120g||dried apricots, snipped into pieces||1 cup|
1. Preheat oven to 200C (400F). Grease a muffin tin, or use muffin liners.
1. In a large mixing bowl, add water to the powdered egg replacer according to the package directions for the equivalent of two eggs. Whisk mixture together until foamy. Then whisk in soya milk, oil, agave syrup, sugar and orange extract until well blended.
2. Stir in bran and let stand for 5 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add to the liquid mixture, and fold gently until just combined. Fold in apricots.
4. Spoon into greased or paper-lined muffin tin, filling just to the top.
5. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, rotating tin halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Makes 12 muffins.