Whenever I ask Mr Thrifty what he wants for tea (that’s supper to those of you on the other side of the pond), he invariably says ‘potatoes’. I’m a big fan of the humble spud as well, and this is one of our favourite ways to eat it.
First, potatoes are roasted with olive oil and Mexican spices, then they’re topped with a mixture of sauteed vegetables, veggie mince (crumbles), salsa and vegan cheese, before being returned to the oven to warm through. I mix the cheese in rather than put it on top, because it melts a lot easier that way and doesn’t dry out.
I’ve made this a few times before. This time I added some diced avocado, fresh tomatoes, coriander (cilantro) and spring onions (scallions) on top before popping it in the oven. Next time I’ll add the toppings AFTER it comes out of the oven, to keep the avocado from turning a rather unappetising shade of green and to provide a raw contrast to the cooked ingredients.
We served it with vegan sour cream (Tofutti brand), and it was most excellent.
Spicy Mexican hash
|2 tablespoons||olive oil, divided||2 tablespoons|
|1-1/2 tablespoons||taco seasoning (see recipe below)||1-1/2 tablespoons|
|100g||diced onion||3/4 cup|
|100g||diced red pepper||3/4 cup|
|2||cloves garlic, minced||2|
|80g||veggie mince (crumbles)||3/4 cup|
|1/4 teaspoon||ground cumin||1/4 teaspoon|
|30g||Cheddar-style vegan cheese||1 ounce|
|salt to taste|
|fresh tomato, spring onion, avocado, olives, coriander, etc|
1. Preheat oven to 230C (450F). Scrub potatoes, but don’t peel them. Cut into bite-sized chunks. Place in a roasting tin and toss with one tablespoon of the olive oil. Sprinkle with the taco seasoning mix and toss again.
2. Roast, uncovered, for 15 minutes, then turn potatoes and continue to roast until potatoes are cooked through and getting crispy on the outside, about 30 to 45 minutes total.
3. Meanwhile, heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet and saute onion for five minutes, until softened. Add red pepper and continue to saute for an additional 10 minutes. Add garlic and saute another minute.
4. Add veggie mince (crumbles) to the skillet, along with 60ml (1/4 cup) of water. Saute until water is absorbed and mince is softened. Add sweetcorn and cumin, and mix well. Continue to cook for another couple of minutes.
5. Finely shred vegan cheese and add to the skillet. Mix until cheese begins to melt. Then add salsa, mix well, and heat through.
6. When potatoes are finished roasting, transfer them to a shallow casserole dish. Top with mince/veggie mixture and return to oven for 15 minutes, until heated through.
7. Remove from oven and add toppings. Serve with vegan sour cream.
Makes two generous servings.
Taco seasoning mix
|1 teaspoon||onion granules||1 teaspoon|
|1/2 teaspoon||mild chilli powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|1/2 teaspoon||ground cumin||1/2 teaspoon|
|1/2 teaspoon||garlic granules||1/2 teaspoon|
|1/2 teaspoon||paprika||1/2 teaspoon|
|1/2 teaspoon||oregano||1/2 teaspoon|
|1/2 teaspoon||sugar||1/2 teaspoon|
|1/4 teaspoon||salt||1/4 teaspoon|
|1/8 teaspoon||cayenne pepper||1/8 teaspoon|
1. Mix all ingredients together.
Makes 1-1/2 tablespoons.