This is a great dish to serve people who think that vegans subsist on beansprouts and raw tofu. I challenge anyone, vegan or omnivore, not to find this a most delicious and satisfying dish. And of course, it does not contain any bits of dead animal.
The filling is made with mushrooms and veggie mince (“burger crumbles” on the other side of the pond, I believe).
A note on the lasagne noodles… I’m not sure if they’re the same size/shape over yonder as over here. You want enough for four layers of noodles in a lasagne pan that’s 24cm (9-1/2″) square. If your pan in a different size, then I guess you should either make friends with your calculator, or just wing it.
A green salad makes a nice accompaniment.
|For the sauce|
|1-1/2 teaspoons||olive oil||1-1/2 teaspoons|
|2||cloves garlic, minced||2|
|700g||passata (tomato sauce)||2-2/3 cups|
|1 tablespoon||fresh minced basil leaves||1 tablespoon|
|salt and pepper to taste|
|For the filling|
|1 tablespoon||olive oil||1 tablespoon|
|120g||chopped onion (1 medium)||3/4 cup|
|200g||thinly sliced mushrooms||3 cups|
|2||cloves garlic, minced||2|
|120g||veggie mince||1 cup|
|2 tablespoons||water||2 tablespoons|
|1 teaspoon||vegan Worcestershire sauce||1 teaspoon|
|1/2 teaspoon||oregano, or to taste||1/2 teaspoon|
|salt & pepper, to taste|
|8||lasagne noodles, cooked||8|
|180g||vegan cheese, “melty” or hard type (for filling)||6 ounces|
|95g||vegan cheese, “melty” type (for topping)||3-1/2 ounces|
|1 tablespoon||olive oil, for drizzling over top (optional)||1 tablespoon|
1. First make sauce. In a heavy pan, saute 2 cloves garlic in 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil for 30-60 seconds, until fragrant but not browned. Add passata (tomato sauce), fresh basil & seasoning and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Set aside.
2. For filling, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a heavy pan. Add onion and saute for five minutes, until softened. Add mushrooms and continue to saute for an additional five minutes. Add garlic and saute for two minutes.
3. Add veggie mince (crumbles) along with water and Worcestershire sauce. Heat gently. Add oregano and salt & pepper to taste.
4. Meanwhile, cook lasagne noodles in boiling salted water, for 2 minutes less than package directs. Drain, rinse in cold water, and lay out in a single layer on a clean tea towel.
5. Preheat oven to 200C (400F).
6. Reserve 250ml (1 cup) of the sauce. Mix remainder with mince/mushroom filling. Grease a 24cm (9-1/2″) square, 6cm (2-1/2″) deep dish with olive oil. Spread 100ml (3/8 cup) reserved sauce in bottom of dish.
7. Layer two lasagne noodles, one third of the filling and 60g (2 ounces) of the cheese you are using for the filling. Repeat this twice.
8. Top with remaining two noodles, 150ml (5/8 cup) reserved sauce and all of the melty cheese for the topping. Drizzle one tablespoon olive oil over top, if using. Cover dish with foil.
9. Bake for 45-60 minutes, until hot and bubbling and cheese is melted.
Makes 4 to 6 servings, depending on how much self-control you have.