This is a great quick meal. Who needs takeaway when you can have this delicious meal on the table in about half an hour?
I have no idea if it resembles “authentic” spaghetti bolognese. But it tastes great!
|1-1/2 tablespoons||olive oil||1-1/2 tablespoons|
|70g||onion, finely diced||1/2 medium|
|1 small||green or red pepper, finely diced||1 small|
|2||garlic cloves, minced||2|
|100g||veggie mince||3-1/2 ounces|
|1/4||bouillon cube, mushroom or vegan beef-style||1/4|
|(enough for 125ml / 1/2 cup water)|
|400g tin||chopped tomatoes in puree||14 ounce can|
|1 tablespoon||fresh minced basil||1 tablespoon|
|(or 1 teaspoon dried basil)|
|1/2 teaspoon||dried oregano||1/2 teaspoon|
|1/2 teaspoon||sugar||1/2 teaspoon|
|1/2 teaspoon||vegan Worcestershire sauce||1/2 teaspoon|
|1/4 teaspoon||cayenne pepper||1/4 teaspoon|
|salt and freshly ground pepper to taste|
|200g||dried spaghetti||7 ounces|
1. Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet over low heat. Saute onion and red pepper for 10 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and continue to saute for an additional minute.
2. Add veggie mince and saute a minute or two. Dissolve bouillon cube in 60ml / 1/4 cup boiling water. Add to veggie mince in skillet. Continue to saute until veggie mince has absorbed bouillon, about 5 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, basil, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne and salt & pepper to taste. Gently simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
5. When spaghetti is cooked, drain and serve with bolognese sauce.
Makes two servings.